Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Two Question Tuesday - 11/8/11

Two Question Tuesday – 11/8/11

Here's the deal - I really liked Mama M.'s Five Question Friday - but that's just too many questions for me.  So I'm going to do my version - and without the linky thingy.

I'll ask two questions and then give you my answers. If you want to play - you can give me your answers in the comment section. If you have a blog and would rather answer them there - just leave a link to your blog instead. I don't know how to do the "Linky" thing like Mama M. yet - and to be honest - I would rather sew than find out so I'll do it this way until I figure it out.
==========

Two questions for you this Tuesday -
Courtesy of KatieM - who asked me these questions last week - here you go -


1.  What encouraged you to become a quilter?
2.  What is your favorite process of quilting?

==========

1. What encouraged you to become a quilter?

How does that song go – “I was Country before Country was cool” - ??

Well – I was Quilting before Quilting was cool.  ;))

In the early ‘70’s - I made a “quilt” from two sheets – some batting – and packaged binding – and then tied it with yarn. I became a “Quilter” when I decided to make a “patchwork” quilt for my first nephew. After that - I made quilts for my kids and just because I thought it was fun.  Most of my friends liked to cook - I liked to sew.

My Other Half encouraged me to enter my quilts in the County Fair when he would point to something and say – “The (insert item here) you made is better than THAT!” And winning ribbons made it even more fun.

Quilting was SO different from my work. My job was SO repetitive - the same thing every month – every quarter – every year. The first month/quarter/year at any job would be – “Oh, that’s cool.” The second month/quarter/year would be – “Oh, yeah – I remember – we did that last month/quarter/year.” The third month/quarter/year would be – “Oh, crap – we have to do that AGAIN!”

Quilting was just my therapy. It kept me sane. I could plan out a quilt – work on it – finish it – and NEVER have to make that pattern AGAIN – unless I wanted to.

It was and still is FUN!!


2. What is your favorite process of quilting?

My favorite process of quilting used to be any kind of sewing “by hand” – Piecing - Needle-turn Applique – Hand sewing the binding - and Hand Quilting.  All of it.

To me - hand stitching is/was very relaxing. It’s also very low-tech. Nothing fancy – just me – a needle – some thread – a thimble – a pair of scissors - and some fabric. Years ago I cut out and thread-basted a bunch of Hawaiian-style patterns – hoping to stitch them all when I “retired”. Unfortunately, I have problems now with my left-hand that make hand sewing difficult so I can't do very much of it anymore. Moral of that story – do it while you can or you may not be able to do it at all. ;))

So now – my favorite process of quilting is Foundation Paper Piecing. I do it completely backwards from most people – but it works for me! I love the precision of the technique and the “sew on the line” simplicity. No futzing with the ¼” seam – just stitch on a piece of fabric – trim it – add another piece - repeat. All I have to do is sew a straight line - and I'm good. ;))


==========

OK - your turn.


Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -

1 comment:

Katie M. said...

I guess I'd better answer this one ;-)
1 - I took basic home ec in Jr.HS because we 'had' to (I'd rather have taken shop)and that is where I learned the basics of sewing - my mom or grandma didn't sew. At age 23, with 2 little girls that I wanted to dress better than I could afford, I put those basic skills to use and discovered I loved to sew. 31 years ago a friend asked me to take a quilting class with her - learned the basic of quilting but not something that sparked me. Then in 2001, another friend drug me to a 'stack n slash' type of quilting class and when I discovered that I could make a quilt without all the fuss, I was hooked. From there, I learned more techniques (self taught) and realized that this I do for me and if it's not perfect - oh well!
#2 - I rarely do hand work - I think I'm fairly good at it, just want more instant gratification (I guess). My favorite part, though, has to be seeing the evolution of the quilt. I use EQ when I want to 'see' how it may look, but when it actually starts to evolve into what my 'vision' was, it's so rewarding to me.
I, too, love to paper piece but it's another one of those 'not going fast enough' sort of things. I made a quilt for my dearest friend and it was paper pieced - took me 4 months to complete that quilt and I can normally turn out a fair sized quilt in 2 weeks. Anyway... thanks for the answers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...