Saturday, February 18, 2012

Orca Bay - 2/18/12


OK -

I promised to show you How I Do It -

How I Assemble A Quilt in Chunks -

============
Note - these instructions are written in LEFTISH.
If you are right-handed - just reverse the directions.
============

First the middle “chunks” -

Left side -
Off the wall -


Onto a mini-design board


Right side -


Bottom -


Top -


Then that leaves -

Bottom right corner -


Top right corner -


Bottom left corner -
And yeah - I fixed the blue one -
After I took the photos - ;))


Top left corner -


See how it breaks down
Into FOUR 4-patches? -


Match the center seam of each 4-patch -
At the small yellow dots -
Join the top two -
Join the bottom two -

Join the top to the bottom -
At the large yellow dot -

Just like a GIANT 4-patch

You obviously need your design wall handy -
And you don’t want to be transporting this anywhere -
While you are putting it together -

But - for me -

This is easier -
Than trying to sew long rows together -

Keeping the blocks going the “correct” way -
And trying to match a ton of seams on each and every row -

This way -
I just match one or two seams at a time -

One “chunk” at a time -

Pinning and pressing as I go -

Until I get all NINE patches sewn -

It's really a LOT like sewing "units" of a block together -

Just bigger "units" - ;))


Next quilt -

Try putting it together this way -

Just for giggles - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -

5 comments:

Jen said...

Great process! Thanks for sharing! And I LOVE your mini boards!

Miranne said...

It is coming along very nicely. Love your leftish!

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

What a cute quilt that is going to make! I like your alternative way of piecing it together. xo

Linda C said...

Makes perfect sense to me. I don't always do it that way since pro bono stuff is a good deal smaller than a full sized bed quilt.

I know when I see patterns in magazines or whatever telling you to assemble long rows of sashing to attach to long rows of blocks that I just want to scream, there is any easier way!!!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Yup - there is ALWAYS another way to do stuff!! - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...