Monday, April 30, 2012

JRRQ - BACKS

DESIGN WALL MONDAY -
Check out all of us who link up with Judy L. at Patchwork Times on Mondays.
We have some awesome stuff on our walls!
Well, THEY do - ME - not so much sometimes - ;))

============

Note - these instructions are written in LEFTISH.
If you are right-handed - just reverse the directions.
============

I’m taking a bit of a break –

From Blogger -

And my LHQSQ - Left-Handed Quilter Sampler Quilt -

And my LHQSQ blocks -

I have another dozen or so blocks that I haven't shown you yet -

But first -

I have three JRRQ tops -

That need backs - sleeves - binding - labels - scrap cards - hearts - story - photos -

And - of course - quilting - ;))



One of them is 2” shorter than the others -

Who knows why -

Maybe because it isn’t pressed yet -
(1/16" x 32 strips is all it takes to come up short) -

I’ll have to measure it again later - ;))

They are overlapping -

‘Cuz the dang things are bigger than my wall -

I had wanted to lay out all three backs at the same time -

But - oh, well -

I'll just start with the middle one -

Anyway -

For the backs -

I have three matching FQ packs -

Each pack has 8 pieces - 2 yds -

I know that I'll need more fabric -

But that should get me started -


Now for some quick MATH -
That dreaded four-letter word -
OH - the HORROR - ;))

THIS top measures 50 x 64 -

And -

Because I want 6 - 8” extra in each direction -

I want the back to be at least 56 x 70 -

So - FQ up on the wall -
After I trim the selvages -

If they go 20” across -
I can put them 3 across - 3 x 20 = 60
With 2 seams at 1" per seam - 60 - 2 = 58
Need 56 - so it will be wide enough -

And then 18" down -
I can put them 4 down - 4 x 18 = 72
With 3 seams at 1" per seam - 72 - 3 = 69
Need 70 - so it will be 1" SHORT!!

I’m an inch SHORT - AGAIN!

See how I do this?

It's AMAZING how consistently I come up SHORT -

I just have to laugh -

My solution -

Add a strip across and between -

The first and second rows of FQ -

===

So - now for real -

The middle JRRQ on the wall -
With the 8 FQ pinned on top of it -
This way I can SEE if the back is big enough -
SEE the top peeking out from under the FQ? - ;))

Three across Rows 1 & 2 -
Leaving a gap for the filler strip -

One on the left side of Rows 3 & 4 -

And it looks like -
One chunk (36 x WOF) should fill in the bottom right corner -


Now for the filler strip -

It has to make up the inch -

That I am SHORT - ;))

Plus one inch for seam allowances -
1/2 inch each side -

Plus two inches extra for insurance -

So that I don’t come up short AGAIN -

So that means the strip has to be 4” -

Right?

Sure hope so -

‘Cuz I’m going to cut that sucker at 4” -

And see what happens -

Wish me luck - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -







2 comments:

Jen said...

Love those colors! (and your thought process... sounds like what goes on in my head!)

Vicki H. said...

Math? did you say Math? I shudder at the thought... and my quilts never measure exactly the same as they are supposed to. I have checked seam allowanced etc. Who knows?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...