Saturday, April 30, 2016

Ch - ch - ch - changes -


Mr. Google is at it again. -

It seems that effective May 1, 2016 - Mr. Google is dumping Picasa -

And forcing us to switch to focusing on Google Photos. -
===

The official Google Picasa Blog says that -

Google Photos is a new and smarter product, that offers a better platform for us to build amazing experiences and features for you in the future.
===

And Wikipedia - HERE - says of the Reception -
At the May 2015 release of Google Photos, reviewers wrote that the service was among the best of its kind.
===

But from various discussions on the Product Forum -

It doesn't appear to be as wonderful as they want you to think it is -
And not everyone is happy about it - ;))
===

BOB and I are still not quite sure how to get photos from my camera to my blog - since we have used Picasa for years and don't know diddly-squat about how to use Google Photos - so until we figure it out - we may have to use some old photos from previous posts. But considering most of my projects are UFOs and date back several years - I probably have a photo of them somewhere on my blog that I can recycle - ;))

BOB and I really don't like wasting spending time on computer crap when we could spend that same time actually being productive and sewing something -

Or practicing my FMQ on this - ;))




Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



7 comments:

Sew Surprising said...

Why they have to fix whats not broken is beyond me, picmonkey easy as to use plus its free and easy :)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, lady - I'll have to check that out. I've heard of it - and I've heard that it's easy to use - but I don't know how it works with Google/Blogger - and I must admit that there is a part of me that just doesn't care or even want to spend the time that it will take to find out - ;))

Gene Black said...

Because I learned to edit photos on my PC before I started blogging, (and before there were free editors on the web) I have always edited my photos on my own computers. I never tried Picasa or Google photos.
Photoshop Elements is my editor of choice...but that costs money you could spend on fabric. LOL

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Gene - I edit my photos on my PC (using Picasa3) and then "Export" them to a separate folder (on my computer) - to be "uploaded" later - so editing them is not really the problem. And I know how to "upload" them from my computer to Google Photo. My problem is how to "insert image" on my blog from Google Photo - if that's even possible.

I don't know how you do it - but when I draft a post on my blog and go to "insert image" - my choices are "Upload" - "From this blog" - "From Picasa Web Album" - "More". The "More" drops down to "From your phone" - "From your webcam" - "From a URL". I used to use "Upload" directly from the folder on my computer. Then I discovered that Google stores a copy of EVERY photo on my blog in a Picasa Web Album - so I changed and uploaded them to a "Picasa Web Album" instead - (in a reduced size to save on Google storage fees). Then I would "insert image" using the choice - "From Picasa Web Album".

Now it seems that the "Picasa Web Albums" are going away and my photos are going to be stored in "Google Photo" - and so far - "From Google Photo" isn't a choice. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to see if "From Picasa Web Album" is replaced with "Google Photos" - and if it isn't - I guess I'll have to back to using plain old "Upload" - ;))

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Oops - make that - "I guess I'll have to GO back to using plain old "Upload" - ;))

Julie Fukuda said...

I think Google has already messed with my Picasa album because suddenly all the albums I created are gone and I have to sort through rows and rows of pictures in all different order to find anything. If they are really so great, people will go to them rather than killing off any competition.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I hear you - I don't like the "new and improved" version either - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...