Monday, September 5, 2016

Design Wall Monday - 9/5/16

DESIGN WALL MONDAY -
Check out all of us who link up with Judy L. -
At Patchwork Times on Mondays.
We have some awesome stuff on our walls!
Well, THEY do - ME - not so much sometimes - ;))
===



On my wall today -
A Drunkard's Path block - from last week -
And some new Gold/Muslin HST -
They're not sewn together in "pinwheels" -
They're just up on the design wall that way - ;))


These are for another scrap quilt that I have wanted to make for quite a while. I like scrap quilts that have one CONSTANT to play against all of the scraps - and these HST will be the CONSTANT. I used one of my dies and it would have gone much more quickly if I had clean cuts - but as you can see - there were some threads that had to be clipped -


So I tried fewer layers (4 instead of 6) - and that didn't help -


But I figure I still saved some time because I layered the Gold and muslin - right sides together - and got 4 HST with each layer set - AND the accuracy is great - AND the dogears are clipped for me - ;))


A little time spent clipping threads sure beats having to rotary cut 120 pairs -

AND then having to trim the dogears - ;))

Oh, and I finished deconstructing a bunch of Ties -
I have to apply some fusible interfacing to stabilize them -
Then I think I'll make some String Blocks -
Those are easy and should turn out nicely - ;))

And I spent some time adding photos to my Quilt Journal page/tab and my UFOs/Projects/Squirrels page/tab. Go take a look and check them out when you get a chance - I still have quite a few more to go - but first I have to find them in the "Archives" and although they are in "date" order - I didn't take the photos in any particular order - so I'm adding them as I find them - ;))

They do make the pages prettier, though -

I think photos always make pages and posts pretty -

Don't you? - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



4 comments:

Gene Black said...

Sometimes taking a pick tool and cleaning out around the blades on those dies helps - and sometimes a new mat may be needed.

Julie Fukuda said...

I have never seen one of those die cutters. (well, the school had one to use to cut paper letters and numbers for bulletin boards) . Since I sew all those by hand, it is easier to draw around a template and then cut them out. I need the sewing lines and I just eye-ball the quarter inch seam allowance. Somehow even rotary cutters are beyond me.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Gene - I did pick out the silly threads that were stuck around the blades - but I didn't think about changing the mat. Too bad they don't make them - "self-healing" - like rotary mats - that would be nice - ;))

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Hi, Julie - the die cutter is made by "AccuQuilt" and is very handy for cutting a large number of any one shape - it includes the 1/4" seam allowance and many shapes have the dogears pre-cut for you. BUT it is assumed that you will be sewing the pieces by machine and not by hand - except for the ones designed for "English Paper Piecing" - I think some of those will cut the papers as well as the fabric - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...