Thursday, October 6, 2016

On a roll -


Boy - I have been on a roll these past two days -

And I took a bunch of photos as I went along - so I could show you what a great time I was having - ;))

I tried to get a shot to show you how stitching around the windows in "black" makes the "yellow" IN the windows POP -


But you might be able to see it better in this one -


Stitching inside the bat "wing" kind of squishes it down -


And the texture in the "yellow" moon really shows up in this one - ;))


When I got to the "lime green" border I switched colors and tried to follow the swirls -


And then back to the "black" borders to do the same -
You gotta love quilting with thread the same color as the fabric - bloopers sort of blend in VERY nicely - ;))


Then - because the borders were quilted "more densely" than the rest - I went back and filled in the different colored backgrounds - like I had originally planned -



I used the same color/brand of thread in the top and the bobbin and REALLY like the effect on the back - kind of like "glow-in-the-dark" on the black backing - ;))




Then I played with the Amish Cheater Pillow/Table Runner - and my walking foot - stitching a variety of decorative stitches - minding my own business when the thread CAUGHT - BIG TIME!! -

I finally cut it loose and it pulled the throat plate OFF!! -


See that black blob? -


The big black blob next the point of my scissors? -


THAT was the problem - and when I cut the throat plate loose - I had THIS mess! -


I cleaned it up - checked the bobbin and saw that it was the WORST wound bobbin I have seen in quite a while - SLOPPY winding - how did I NOT notice? - Who knows? - I tried to take a photo - but couldn't get a good one - but you get the idea. So I unwound it - added the thread to my TUSAL stash - rewound a proper bobbin - and continued to play - ;))

The late afternoon sunlight really shows off the wonderful texture -




It even looks good from the back - ;))


That's a pretty good sampling of the decorative stitches available on my Husqvarna Lily 555. I may do another version for my Brother machines - they have decorative stitches that can be sewn without a walking foot - seems that the Operation Manual doesn't recommend using the walking foot with any stitch that goes in "reverse". Have to add that to my list of "Squirrels" - ;))

Next up - cut/sew the binding strips for both - get them attached - then baste/fuse my Halloween Sudoku. I stitched together a backing from odds and ends on Wednesday and set it aside so it's ready when I finish the other two - ;))

Ha! - "Finish" - a word I don't use very often - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



6 comments:

Gene Black said...

The quilt in the afternoon sun looks amazing.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Gene - the afternoon sun is really GREAT lighting - I should use it more often. And I am VERY pleasantly surprised with how well both projects have turned out so far - ;))

Julie Fukuda said...

They say, Practise makes perfect and you have arrived quite quickly. The quilting really makes the project!

Katie M. said...

WOW - that's amazing quilting! You're coming along by leaps and bounds! And I really love the Halloween quilt...

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Julie - the quilting turned out much better than I expected even with all of the bloopers that you can't see in the photos. I have a long way to go yet - but the pressure to be "perfect" is off - it's just "practice" - and FUN! - ;))

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks, Katie - it's better than it was - but still not blooper-free - but I don't care - it's FUN!! - ;))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...