Sunday, March 18, 2018

Crumb piecing - bits and pieces -


Can be sewn together a number of different ways - ;))

You can sew bit to bit - use strips - or not -

Only ONE piece needs a straight edge -

And even at that - you can "eyeball" a straight line if you want to -

There are NO RULES - ;))

I finished up the last four "Crumb" blocks that I needed for my Deep Red Crumb Squares - gotta love the little pink elephant -


And was going to sew the "Crumb" blocks together today -

But then thought that I would show how "I" sew odd-ball bits/pieces instead - ;))

This plastic bin is full of the "cut-offs" from previously made "crumb" blocks -


Anything less than 3/4" is really too small/narrow to use -

Since 1/2" is taken up with seam allowances -

But I found these little bits/pieces and they are still usable -

Although they may not look like it at first glance -


I also have some 1" squares in a basket that can be used -


Some "larger" crumbs in another basket -


And a bunch of bits/pieces sewn together in various shapes and sizes -


I'll take this bunch and sort them -


Into piles of similar shapes and sizes -


Here's one "almost up to size" - it goes in another pile -


So - back to the bits/pieces - I'll show you how I use this stack of four -


They are mostly triangular shaped but have a curved edge - which makes them look unusable -


But they make great "corners" for some of my other bits/pieces -


Flip the top one over - and I can follow the "straight edge" of the top piece -


Same with this one -


And this one -



So I can sew these three - chain piecing - one right after the other -


And the fourth one can go with this bit/piece -



All four sewn -


And clipped apart - and pressed open -


Take them to my little cutting mat next to the sewing machine -
And trim the left side for a "straight edge" -


Then this one -



And the other side -



And this one - the left side first -


Then across at an angle because they don't quite line up -
And I like them wonky -



Then this one -


Left side -


Trim the other "tail" -


And there you go -

Four more little bits/pieces to go on the piles with their friends who are similar shape and size -


The seam allowance on this one was a little too big -


But a quick trim with the scissors fixed it -


Then there are these guys -


The brown one will make a good corner for this bit -


And the orange one seems to fit this one -


I may lose some of the smaller bits in the seam allowance -
And I may "un-stitch" some of them to re-sew to a larger piece -
But I'll decide that when I get there -
Because I pretty much make it all up as I go along -

So - for now - I'll just keep on keepin' on -


Sewing bits to bits - or to strips -

Whichever strikes my fancy - because there are NO RULES -

And I am in no danger of running out of "Crumbs" - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



2 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

You are seriously addicted. I don't think they have any treatment for crumb addiction lol. SO you just have to continue Ahhhhhhh you poor thing. Hugs.

Gene Black said...

Yes, I know how you got this addiction. And I know that you are shamelessly spreading it. I am going to call you "Crumb-phoid Mary" (like typhoid Mary Ha ha.)

I have my 64 blocks done and the scrap drawer is still overflowing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...