Sunday, March 11, 2018

Crumb Square Challenge -


Anyone up for a challenge? - ;))

In the past few weeks I've made two Crumb Square quilt tops -

One in Black -


Then one in Cheddar -


And right now I'm playing with another one in Deep Red - ;))


==
EDIT UPDATE - TO ADD -

My layout is a simple re-do of something I had seen on AllPeopleQuilt -
HERE - Inspired by Stamp Of Approval from Designer Tonya Alexander (EyeCandyQuilts - blogspot - com)

==

I think this setting will work with ANY solid color or tone-on-tone that reads as a solid -

But I'm too impatient to see if I can prove my theory -

So - I'm asking for your help -

Would any of you be up for a challenge to see if it really DOES work with ANY solid color? -

I'll give you the sizes that I used for mine and a quick "tutorial" -

Then you can choose your own "background" color -

No pressure -

No deadline -

I'll play with mine - and - if you want to play along -

When you're ready -

You can post your version on your blog -

And email me so I can post a link to your blog post - ;))

Mine came out to 40-1/2" x 40-1/2" - without borders -

Each top is made of two simple blocks -

Each with 4 "squares" - 4 "sashes" - and 1 "center" square

Block A - has "Crumb" squares and "Solid" sashes - with the same or assorted center squares

Block B - has "Solid" squares and "Crumb" sashes - with "Solid" center squares


I alternated the two blocks and set them "on point" -


Block A - the "Crumb" block -

Started with a pile of "Crumb" blocks cut to 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" square -


I chose 4 at random - (Hint - don't try too hard to get all of the fabrics different - it won't matter) -
And added four "Solid" sashes cut at 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" -

And a center square cut at 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" -
I used the same "Hot Pink" on the Black ones -
And the same "Blue" on the Cheddar ones -


Sewed them together like a 9-patch -

And pressed to the "Solid" -


Block B - the alternate block -

Has 4 "Solid" squares cut at 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" -

4 Sashes made up of 3 squares cut at 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" -

And a center "Solid" square cut at 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" -

Sewed them together like a 9-patch -

And pressed to the "Solid" -

Since the blocks alternate and everything is pressed to the "Solid" -

The seams nest quite nicely -


My setting is "on point" - 4 x 4 -

So I have 16 "Crumb" Block A - and 9 "Solid" Block B -

The "count" is as follows -

64 "Crumb" squares - cut at 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" (16 blocks at 4 each = 16 x 4 = 64)
64 "Solid" sashes - cut 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" (16 blocks at 4 each = 16 x 4 = 64)
16 Center squares - "Crumb"/same or assorted - cut 1-1/2" x 1-/2" (16 blocks at 1 each = 16 x 1 = 16)

36 "Solid" squares - cut at 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" (9 blocks at 4 each = 9 x 4 = 36)
36 "Crumb/Mixed" sashes - 4 sets of 3 squares cut at 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" (9 blocks with 4 sashes each with 3 squares = 9 x 4 x 3 = 108 squares) -
NOTE - You could also use strip sets but you may not get a wide variety that way -
9 "Solid" center squares - cut at 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" (9 blocks at 1 each = 9 x 1 = 9)

I usually cut my side setting triangles and corners a bit "oversized" so that I can trim them after I do the quilting - so -

12 Side setting triangles - 3 squares cut at 12" x 12" -
Then cut diagonally TWICE for 12 QST -

4 Corner triangles - 2 squares cut at 7" x 7" -
Then cut diagonally ONCE for 4 HST -

Sew the blocks together in diagonal rows - then the rows together to make the top. I pressed the blocks in each row to the "solid" and the sewn rows away from the center row toward the corner HST - ;))

Yardage - I have no clue - for the Black - I used yardage from my stash and knew that I had plenty - for the Cheddar I used 9 - 10" squares and was able to cut - from ONE 10" square - HERE -

4 squares at 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" -
8 rectangles (sashes) at 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" -
4 squares at 1-1/2" x 1-1/2"


The 10" squares were not large enough to cut the side setting triangles so I used a tone-on-tone that was a close match - and had about a yard of that which was more than enough - ;))

Of course - you could make CUT your "blocks" at 4-1/2" or any other size you want - EDIT UPDATE - changed "make" to CUT - all sizes given are CUT sizes -

Or do a 3 x 3 layout - with 9 "Crumb" Block A and 4 "Solid" Block B -

You would just have to "sketch" it out - count your blocks and go from there - ;))

I think that about covers it -

Feel free to check my MATH - and let me know if I you have any questions -

I really would like to see other variations -

The possibilities are ENDLESS - ;))



Talk to you later - gotta go - gotta sew -



4 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

That might be an interesting challenge to try by hand ..... Probably take a while but I have a shoe box of pieces that might work.

Gene Black said...

Hmmm... I want to try this for sure. I will have to see what color I have "enough" yardage to go with- or maybe I will use more than one color---hmmm...this could be a rainbow quilt.....

Careful now, my crazy creative side is activated.

Jeanna said...

Gene pointed me to your blog and this post. Sounds like a wonderful way to use up my bits and pieces.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I came over from Gene's blog too. I have been crumb crazy this month. I cut mine at 6.5" and I'm not a fan of sewing things on point but I think I will give it try with my blocks. I usually just sash my crumb blocks but that is boring. I like your alternate blocks. Something to play with.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...